The history of schooling at Dudley’s Corner goes back to the first settlers who established farms and businesses on the North and East side of the Kennebec in the 1790’s. Because this crossroads was central to the farming community, school began to be held at several different neighborhood farmhouses until the First school building was built on this site, in 1804. At that time this section was part of Canaan. In 1823, Milburn was set off from Canaan and Dudley’s Corner was part of that exchange. Townspeople decided to replace the original school in 1835 and $300 was appropriated for the purpose. After another year, the building now standing here was finished in 1836 at a final cost of $466.30. This fine new schoolhouse soon became the social, religious and political center of Milburn as well.