[A] marker along this trail was placed by the Eunice Farnsworth Chapter of Skowhegan.
This monument marks the notable spot where it is supposed that Arnold camped.
It is a large mixed granite boulder that was taken from the farm of Levi Weston,
a descendant of Joseph Weston who volunteered to aid Arnold's forces of about 1100 men
up the river in batteaux on the expedition against Quebec.
He aided in poling their boats from this place,
which is about two miles below Skowhegan, to Skowhegan Island.
The marker has been placed on the spot where Arnold encamped
and is located on the southeast corner of the [former] Skowhegan High School Campus.
Note: This marker now resides in the Arnold Trail Park on the Island.
September 29 - October 4, 1775
Eleven hundred Revolutionary Soldiers
Commanded by Colonel Benedict Arnold
Passed across this Island, Carrying Bateaux and Supplies
On their way to Quebec.
To commemorate their daring and ill-fated Expedition
This tablet is placed by
Eunice Farnsworth Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution 1912